Thursday, August 16, 2012

Two "F" Words ~ Faith and Football



Think those two “F” words can’t coexist? Faith and football ~ I’m not too sure how to separate the two.

As a single mama of two boys, my faith was challenged in several ways, on several days! The rivalry between the two kicked in around the tween years. But what was most challenging was keeping my faith through the recruiting process when they were being vetted to play college football!

Whether you’d like to face it or not, the months leading up to signing day can be exasperating, exhausting and exciting, all at the same time. Keeping your faith in a tough sport can be, well, tough. Some days, I would’ve loved to have shown my derriere and let a few coaches have a piece of my mind. I could’ve given some of those fellers, especially the ones who sat on my sofa, a taste of some home-baked peach cobbler peppered with Tabasco sauce! Those tale-tellin’ varmints! Maybe I should’ve peeled their heads like a peach, after all!

There are so many unanswered questions during the recruiting phase that for me, I had no other choice but to turn to the Lord and seek His wisdom and His word. For insistence ~ are the recruiting coaches shooting straight with you? Is your son on a programs’ wait-n-see list and what exactly does that mean? Does the college in question have the kind of degree your son is looking to major in? Where can you ask the honest questions and find the honest answers without jeopardizing your son in some way?

I looked in libraries, bookstores, and online for any kind of help that would shine a light on the college recruiting process. All I found was recruiting from college to the NFL. There are tons of web sites that offer services to help get a kid recruited to college, most for a fee. But I wasn’t looking for that kind of information. I wanted to hear or read from someone who lived through it. Not from a star players’ family that most books represent, like quarterbacks, wide receivers, or running backs … you get my point. Just an honest, behind-the-scenes look at how it happens! What happens, what to expect, and why college coaches do what they do! I couldn’t find a thing, so I turned to my faith in Jesus.

Why is that? Sometimes, I dare say most times, we go looking all over the place for answers when the answer is through God’s word and our faith muscle. He really does give us the desires of our heart in His season. Of course, I detail our story to help other parents and players ride through this process with more insight and hope in Helmet Kisses … How to Survive College Football Recruiting without Losing Your Lipstick or Your Faith!

As for the boys being recruited to play football, faith was our  game plan and that played the biggest part of it all! Yes, Faith and Football are two of the most powerful positive “F” words that I believe go together like peaches and cream!       

No comments:

Post a Comment